Sunday, February 23, 2014

Tattooing and lack of Confidence.

I realized I never updated on Garrett's headaches!  Only that I was happy to have him home!  Lol.  No new developments.  He had a spinal tap done and an MRI.  Everything looked ok.  On one hand, it's a relief that they were clear, but that doesn't provide any relief for G's head.  They are trying a new drug on him, so we'll see if that does anything!!!

In other news, my back is-a-aching today!!!  I guess that's kinda old news.  It felt fine earlier in the day, but is now hurting pretty bad.  I've been dealing with back issues and sciatic issues for a few years but wish now I'm wishing I would have been a little more proactive about it...because I have a feeling it's only going to get worse as baby grows.   I do lots of stretching but I think it is time to implement for yoga...especially if I am going back to tattooing.  We all know that can already cause some back issues.  We have our 16 week check up next week, so I'll talk to our OB about it again and see if she has any suggestions!

I went in to to work today to clean tubes.  I start back up tomorrow with a touch up.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.  Mostly for my back but also, it's been 3.5 months since I tattooed.  I already struggle with my confidence in tattooing. Some days I leave work feeling like I shouldn't be in the business.  But I suppose we are all our own worst critics.  I need to not best myself up so bad.  It's good to always think about what you could have done better, but you also need to be proud of bow far you've come.  Sometimes, I really suck at that part.  That is another reason I miss working with my mentor!!!  She was always helping me see the good in the work I do, while helping me improve at the same time!  Ah, well!!! If nothing else, I need to trust my clients!!!  Especially my repeat clients.  I must not be too bad if they keep coming back!  =) My bestie always calls me a dumbass when I get this way.  Lol.  Leave it to the best friend to say it like it is.

Anyway, after being away from tattooing for a few months, it will take me a bit to get my confidence back.  But I'll get there.  I'm easing my way back by working on my dad and repeat clients that I'm comfortable with.  I also know that if something with my back or pregnancy were to come up, they wouldn't be upset.  After I do a few of those tattoos, I will be comfortable taking on new clients.  I'm actually pretty stoked because a girl left her name and number at the shop for me wanting a partial sleeve of pinup Alice in wonderland!!!!  With color!!!!  I am super excited about that.

Well, I don't really have much else to say.  I'll post tomorrow with me weekly pregnancy update!  But hopefully this silly post will hold my mom over until then!  Lol!!!  She doesn't like it when I don't post for a while!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think every tattoo artist feels that way. There are days that I know Pablo would love to have his mentor around and he has been doing it going on 10 years. Being around him when he is like that has taught me there isn't much I can say that helps, but you got this lady and you do beautiful work :)I think it is a good thing to not be too over confindent anyways, humbleness and tattooing go together better and I know it is something that every day you will keep learning. Not knowing precisely what you are questioning I will just say what Pabs always says to Derick, you know your bases, you know what you are doing, it all comes from within. Sorry if I sound cheesy or preachy or anything just trying to help. That sucks about G's head, I hope his new meds work and your back eases up!

Nessa said...

Thanks, lady!!! No, it doesn't sound cheesy at all! It's true. It does come within. And half of the time, it's just a matter of believing in myself! Your hands shake a little less, you pull lines more confidently, and all around, you just end up producing a better tattoo. My mentor always taught me to go with my instincts. And it hasn't failed me yet. I just need to keep the confidence and trust that I know what I'm doing! Thanks, again, Donna!!!