My husbands grandma passed away today. We have heavy hearts here at the Zanto household today. She was an amazing lady who live 94 years and was married for over 70 years. Her sweetie is hurting pretty bad today, poor guy.
I only had the privilege of knowing Grandma Marie for about 5 years of her 94. But she was one of the toughest women I know. She's had lots of strokes, been struck by lightning twice, lived through the depression, had her last baby in her 40's (thank God for that "accident" as that was my now Mother-In-Law), she's broken her ribs, she's weighed about 80-90 pounds since I met her in late 2005 and didn't consider herself "frail" in the least. And she was still super witty, and funny and her mind was totally sound. (I loved hearing her tell Grandpa Willis how "full of shit" he was.) Even after they brought her to the hospice (she was in severe pain) and she was put into a morphine-induced sleep, she lasted 6 days...with no food or water. The woman was a beast!
I am sad for the loss, but am thankful she is at peace now and no longer in pain. My husband is hurting pretty bad today. He grew up living next door to his grandparents and is so close with them. They are his heroes. Seeing my husband hurt so bad is tough. I hope he can be at peace soon. All I can do is be a shoulder for him to cry on. It's hard to lose anyone, no matter what age. He expressed how surprised he was by how much he was crying because he thought he had prepared for that moment for the last few years. My response was that, no matter how much you try to prepare for it, you can never truly be prepared to lose someone you love. You just have to let yourself be sad and mourn. I am mourning the loss of Grandma Marie, but I am also trying to help my husband through it.
I am sure her and my Grandma are partying together in Heaven. And if you are the praying sort, if you could send some our way, and especially to my husband, Grandpa Willis and his family, it would be greatly appreciated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm so sorry for your loss :(
Oh I'm so sorry Nessa. Sounds like she was an amazing woman with a wonderful family that loves her.
I am so so sorry for your loss Nessa. *hugs*
You know how I feel about praying, but I'll totally do it :) xoxo friend!
Hi Ness,
That's rough... 94 is an incredible innings though... especially to have her mind intact. Gives hope that old age can still be something beautiful these days.
Loss is not something that is ever full reconciled but the pain does ease... I do hope the seas calm for you and husband sooner rather than later.
xxx
Post a Comment