Monday, June 21, 2010

Anxiety Schmanxiety

This has been a good week so far for my infertile crew. Not one, but TWO BFP's to a couple of the most deserving ladies!! One who has been trying just to ovulate for 2 years, and one who thought it might be too late. I couldn't be MORE thrilled for them. It has totally made my week! I'm not sure who they've told yet, so I won't link them, but if you ladies are reading this, lots of love to you, and congrats a thousand times over!!! It seems I picked the wrong time to abandon TTC.

For my infertility undergrads, keep on keepin' on, friends. Lots of love to you too. I know a few of you are hurting right now, so special thoughts going out to you.

As for me, I'm truckin' along pretty good. I'm getting my anxiety under control. I guess what I was having were real live panic attacks, which led to my anxiety to sort of snowball. But I'm trying to do some behavior mod stuff to get through this so I don't become an agoraphobic. I was starting to notice that I wasn't wanting to leave the comforts of my home just in case I started feeling nervous/sick. So I've been making myself leave and do something outside my house every day.

It's so bazaar to have my whole life so suddenly interrupted like this, but I think I needed it to happen for me to take this break and to take care of myself.

It was hard for me to accept that this was all caused by panic/anxiety attacks and just anxiety in general. It amazing how much anxiety can cause actual physical symptoms. I could have sworn I had something seriously wrong with me. After accepting the anxiety "diagnosis," I've been able to start controlling the attacks better. I haven't had any serious nausea since. I've had "nervous stomach" on and off, but am usually able to control it with some deep breathing. I haven't had an actual attack in almost 2 weeks.

It all sounds so ridiculous, but I saw 4 different doctors, and they all said the same thing. After the ER visit, I finally accepted it. Things are looking up for me and I can see me slowly getting back to my old self. Luckily, the Citalipram isn't making me feel disconnected or anything. I've only got 2 weeks worth in my system and was told I wouldn't see any results from that till I have 4-6 weeks worth in my system, but I seem to be managing ok with just the behavior mod stuff. I don't expect the Citalipram to be any sort of miracle drug or anything. Just hopefully help me cope a little while I learn how to manage stress and the attacks.

One positive change since being on a TTC break is all the art I've been doing. While TTC, I always felt to "drained" to do any artwork. I sort of pushed it to the side and when I did try to paint or draw, it felt forced most of the time. But I've been pushing out drawing like a Emmer Effer. It's been awesome. Now I just need to get back on my bike and start training again!!!

4 comments:

Greeny said...

Hey Ness,

Those BFPs... they always seem to come in runs when they do. :-) I'm going to guess Kelly will be the next of my girls in line to see the sunshine!

Really good to hear that things have been improving and I am equally amazed that the whole lot was a consequence of anxiety alone. Even to me it sounded like there was some other underlying gastrointestinal condition going on there. Wow I think our house is about to blow down. LOL. Um anyway, gives me the fuzzies to read another happy positive post from you and also glad that your not missing the TTC crazies too much. ;-)

xxxx

Lauren said...

I'm glad everything has been getting better now that your anxiety is under control. I have a diagnosed anxiety/panic disorder as well and prior to treating it had severe stomach problems. It was awful and I was always nauseous or in pain. So I feel ya. I'm glad the citalipram is helping :)

Kelly said...

Glad you are feeling better and hoping it continues to go in a positive direction! You deserve to be able to live life to the fullest! I'm so glad you are back to painting more too! You have to share your latest work with your blog stalkers!

janepjohns said...

Ness,
Good to see you yesterday looking so skinny, beautiful and in control of your anxiety. I think that the sun is beginning to shine on your life again.
So sorry to hear about Grandma Zanto. Garrett has been rock solid for you and now you have the opportunity to be there for him. That's the sweet thing about marriage!
Love ya Sweetie!!! See you again soon.