Friday, May 23, 2014

That was no UTI...

My last entry was filled with lots of frustration because I felt like my concerns were not being taken seriously.   Well, most that follow me on here also follow me on FB so you all have an idea of what happened.  I'm going to summarize it on here too since this is where I document everything.

So clearly I was concerned about something being wrong on Sunday.  I still was not satisfied after speaking with the on call OB, but was not entirely sure of what to do at that point so I thought I would just wait until Monday to talk to our OB.  Luckily, my friend Kari, had the suggestion of going to the walk in and just asking for a pee test to see if I had a UTI.  I thought that was a goid idea so after I got home from grocery shopping, I headed over.

As soon as I got in, I had barely sat down to tell them my symptoms and twbe second I mentioned any craming, I was being wheeled over to labor and delivery.   I still thought this was overkill because truly, I did not feel that bad.  Yes, I felt something was off but I would never ever have guessed the sequence of events to follow.

So they put me in thst little room in labor and delivery to monitor me.  Everything was looking ok. My pee came back clear.  Baby sounded good.  My uterus was a little agitated but there were no contractions being recorded. So I'm thinking we are about done.  Just one little cervix check and I'll be on the road.  The nurse was having trouble knowing what she was feeling.   She thought maybe her fingers weren't loenv enough.  So she grabbed another nurse for a second opinion.  She came in, did her thing then left.  We sat there waiting to be let go.

Next thing I know, like 5 people came storming into the room.  One's starting an IV, one is putting a catheter in, ones giving me a shot, an ultrasound tech in coming in..

Omg, this is NOT a UTI...

They explained what they thought was going on and that it needed to be confirmed by an ultrasound.  The adrenaline and fear began to set in after the confirmation of the ultrasound.  I began shaking uncontrollably once I realized we were dangerously close to giving birth to our baby.  I tried to stop because I knew the calmer I could keep myself,  the happier baby and my uterus would be.  But the adrenaline was already running its course.  I think I triggered a few contractions during freakout mode...but I was able to get ahold of myself after we got settled in a room.

At this point, I was practicallt laying upside down in without fully grasping the situation.  I knew it was serious as they were giving me steroid shots to mature babys lungs just in case, but I was still a little confused about what exactly was happening.

The high risk doctor came in to talk to me after a while and explained what was going on.  My cervix was dialated and membranes containing amniotic fluid were bulging out a out 4cm.  He also explained the procedure that we would be doing tbe next day.  In my case, it's called a heroic cerclage due to the emergent nature of it.  It is a gamble but the best option at this point.
So Monday comes and I head for surgery.  The rest of the day was such an insane blur to me.  Right out of surgery, I began having painful contractions.  I don't remember much other than being in pain and hanging on to Garretts hand for dear life.  I also remember saying "it hurts" over and over over again!!  Oh and I also recall a nurse explaining to someone in the room that I was already on the max dose of everything to stop contractions and at that point, it's up to baby whether it was coming or not.  According to G, I had contractions every 3 minutes for 3 hours before they started chilling out.  That whole day is such a blur for me, though.   Apparently,  I also asked for Red Vines during the commotion.   And told G he could go grocery shopping with my dad.  Haha.

Anyway, the next few days would be crucial in determining how successful the cerclage was.  Luckily, things could not have gone better.  Non infection, my cervix has been fairly quiet....  and now here I am, Friday evening, waiting to see if I get to go home tomorrow.  

What an ordeal!!!  I'm so thankful for how things turned out.  We are still not out of the woods yet.  It is still very much day by day.  Every night we make it through without Baby Z entering the world is another victory.  It will obviously be a tough road until baby is actually here, but we will do what is necessary.

I want to write more, but I'll do that when I'm settled back at home. I just wanted to document the events while they are still fresh.

No comments: