Tuesday, May 6, 2014

First Birth Class

G and I had our first birth classes last night!!!  Biggest thing I learned was that G and I may be too immature to have a baby!  Lol!  We sat in the back of the class and made funnies all through the class!  Honestly, I'm going to be more interested in the next sessions because we will be delving more into stages of labor and coping methods and the actual birthing process.  Last night was mostly about pregnancy and I've read bunches about that already!

But we did get a tour of labor and delivery! That part was cool!  It made me super excited!!!  Not for the pain, but for the while process to happen so we can meet our little nugget!!!!  The rooms are super nice and calming!!!  They don't have a nursery so baby stays in the room with you the entire time!  There's a little area where G can nap if he so chooses!  They even have a rocking chair!  It's on the 7th floor so there's a nice little view of Great Falls.  It is pretty spacious, too so before labor gets too insane, immediate family can pop in and hang out a bit before things get too rough!

It was also cool to see all those big old pregnant bellies...and nice to hear people having the same struggles with their changing bodies...and no, I'm not just talking appearance.  I'm talking about all of it.  There's so much changing in your body, including your ribs being stretched out.  I've felt kind of isolated in this process a bit after infertility because clearly I know what it's like to hear about people complaining about what I would kill to have so I try to keep to myself.  But one thing I've learned is that there are definitely legitimate feelings that go along with pregnancy, from body image issues, and physical discomforts right down to questioning if I will make a good mother.  But again, I know how it feels on the other side of infertility so I dare not mention any of them anywhere near FB!  I even still have guilt mentioning them here and people are here by choice.  But it's nice to be with a group of people again who are struggling with the same stuff.  I wish I could join in without the guilt!  But you don't get the feeling that any of them would change a single thing or that it isn't completely worth it for our babies.

There are struggles everywhere...it just is a matter of who we choose to relate to.  At this stage, I wohkds NEVER talk about any of my pregnancy related struggles to someone still going through infertility just as someone with a head cold wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) complain to someone going through cancer treatment.  I do remember having this understanding while going through infertility.  I recognized that pregnancy and being a parent had its struggles, but I was not the one to get sympathy from.  I didn't want to hear about your heartburn, or body issues.  Again, just like a cancer patient probably has trouble mustering up any sympathy for someone with a sniffling nose.  So now that I have a group of preggers, it will be nice to hopefully let go of some of my guilt I have about these feelings and be able to enjoy a little commiseration with this group!

Anyway, bottom line is, I think these classes will only make me more excited and confident to go through the process of having this baby and becoming a family of 3!!!

No comments: