Monday, August 4, 2014
The Birth Story
Well, hello Mr. Mason! It's nice to finally meet the little nugget that has thrown our lives for a loop the last several years! And ya know what??? Worth every. Damn. Second.
So yes, it's been a whirlwind! In don't even think I had a chance to update about our last appointment. So those of you waiting to hear details of how it all went down, you finally get your wish!
So I'll start with our appointment on Tuesday. We went in to do monitoring. Everything looked good there! She then did a ceviux check. The tear was still there. I wasn't dilated at all, yet I was about 90% effaced. So we set up another appointment for the following Wednesday. Then in the mean time, Miser said she would talk to Dr. Key and get his opinion. So I left feeling a little discouraged at the lack of progress. After all, we spent all that time trying to keep Baby Z in and now it's being stubborn.
So we went home and about 30 minutes later, we get a call from Dr. Miser telling us we were scheduled for a c section on Monday. Basically, that tear was just too much! I wasn't dilating from my cervix because I was dilating through the tear instead. My cervix has already been through enough, they wanted to avoid further trauma and damage.
So after hearing this, I was actually quite relieved. I mean, a cesarean is not exactly my top choice, but like I said, as long as baby is safe, that's my my concern! So I was thinking that Monday would be perfect! I had plenty of time to work on my house and finish nesting. I had plans!!!
Wednesday, my parents came up just to visit. They wanted to help us fill our cupboard's so we wouldn't have to worry about it when we got home from the hospital on Monday! They also cooked dinner for us, which was nice! That night, we took some pics with my parents and my friend Kari, who is also pregnant!! I was having contractions but they didn't feel super regular OE painful so I didn't think anything if it.
It wasn't until I sat down to play some video games with Aprill that I noticed that miiiight actually regular contractions!! So while Aprill and I were playing, I started tracking them with my fancy shmancy contraction calculator. After about 50 minutes or so of this, I decided maybe I should mention it to G. His eyeballs got all big and he immedietly turned off his ps3 and went to grab his keys. He said, well, if we are going to the hospital tonight, I better take the lawnmower back. (He had his parents riding lawnmower and trailer hooked up to his truck.) I told him to go ahead because I wasn't terribly worried about the contractions.
Turns out I just suck at labor! Lol. After he got home, I had been tracking for about 2 hours and was having them every 5 minutes. So with the prospect of the c section coming up, I figured they wouldn't want me to go into active labor and tear my cervix even more. So to be on the safe side, we went in just to see what they thought.
I apparently was having contractions that I barely felt because I was having them every 2 minutes. So then she checked my cervix and ended up finding yet another tear way in the back. My old tear was dilated to 8cm and the new tear was dilated to 5cm. Yikes!!! So off the nurse went to talk to Dr. Miser. She just happened to be the Dr. on the floor that night.
Dr. Miser came in and told us we were having a baby that night. I would like to say I was suprised...but I know my baby at this point. If you make plans, he will destroy them!! Haha! But seriously, I was ready to meet our baby.
It was pretty crazy how quickly things moved from there! Within minutes of Dr. Miser telling us we would be doing the c section that night, the nurse had come in with Garretts scrubs to wear. Soon after, I was being wisked away to the OR.
G had to wait outside while they prepped me. The anesthesiologist was pretty funny! That always helps calm nerves. It always seems like the second I am in one of those OR's, I immediately start shaking so it was nice that everyone was so chill in there. So they administered the epidural and immediately, my legs started to go numb. Such a weird feeling!
Finally they let G in the room. I knew it was go time. I was nervous for the fact that I would be awake while they were cutting my guts open, but luckily, I was more excited at the prospect of meeting my baby FINALLY!!!
I felt some pressure and some tugging and then all the sudden, G sounded super excited and said "they broke your water!!!" And not even a minute later said "there's the head!!!" Then with seconds, I heard a loud crying baby. I instantly burst into tears. I knew that cry was a good sign! A few tugs later, baby was out! IT'S A BOY!!!! We have a Mason! We have a son! They lowered the curtain just a smidge so I could see him for a minute. Then G went over to cut the cord and help clean him up while they sewed me back up!
The hour I spent in the recovery room was the longest hour of my life! I think literally watched the second hand go around the clock 60 times!
Finally, they rolled me into our room where G was hanging with Mason and my parents! And I finally got to hold my baby boy!!!!
I can't even describe how amazing being a mom is. For me, this has been a dream of mine for a very long time. So while my birth story may not have been my ideal experience, it doesn't matter. It's a good thing that the birth experience isn't what it's about. This little guy that is snuggled up in m!y arms right now? THAT is what it's about!
I'm sure there will be a flooding of Mason related stuff for a while... Cuz I'm totally smitten with him!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So I saw this last night and i was so excited because I have been literally checking every day like 10 times lol! What a way to enter the world; on his own terms lol :) Glad you are happy!!
Congratulations again and again and again! I am so incredibly happy for you all. Thanks for sharing your story. I look forward to the many more updates.
I know someone else who has always done things on their own terms. Like mother, like son? I think so. Those pouty lips, that crazy strength in his little body...all reminiscent of that first week I held you in my arms. Thank you for the Grandson. I will cherish him for all of eternity...that's a promise.
Post a Comment